Elberta Train Depot & WWII Museum
Believed to have been built in 1918, the Elberta train depot was originally located on what is now the corner of Elberta Road and Georgia Highway 247. Since the construction of the railroad in Houston County dates back to September of 1881, the Elberta depot is a significant landmark for the area. The depot served the residents of Houston County as a whistle-stop for transporting produce to the surrounding area.
When the train did not stop anymore, the depot began to be used as a warehouse for many years. The Elberta depot was uncovered once again when a local salvage yard in Warner Robins, was torn down in 1983. As a myth of the city for many; there stood an old train depot hidden inside four walls of an existing building on the property. When uncovered, the building was moved to the Houston County Fairgrounds located on Dunbar Road to be used as the senior activity center until the city purchased the building in 2002 for historical preservation.
The City of Warner Robins moved the Elberta Train Depot in 2003, it now stands on Armed Forces Blvd next to the E.L. Greenway Welcome Center. With the assistance of a $50,000 Transportation Grant, the future is looking bright for the old depot. Restoration for use as a transportation museum tracing the railroad systems back to the days of Wellston and the role railroads played in the development of Robins Air Force Base and Warner Robins.